Monday, October 13, 2008

I Just Love That Kevin Johnson! More on the True Woman Conference

I would like to say that it is with a great sense of melancholy that I mention this recent True Woman Conference. What reasonable person would find fault in a gathering of so many Christian women who presented much good material and joined together to edify and affirm one another as fellow Christians and as women, too? Uh... er... Someone like me. (See the preceding few posts...) I would have likely enjoyed going to something like this, if only for the fellowship and having a special cause to get together with other women from my church in a way that we don't usually experience.

The Conference featured messages that blessed me deeply. Yet I take a risk by speaking critically of the conference, however, because I can easily be painted with any one of the pejoratives you can think to name: feminist, hateful of women, in support of Gloria Steinem and a lover of Virginia Slims cigarrettes. (BTW, I'm an asthmatic. Hint: none of these things apply.)

 People are very easy to love when you agree with them and they agree with you. It makes life easier and helps you bounce back from the relationships that try your patience. So it's not necessary that we always agree with one another, and even for those who enjoy a good debate, agreement is soothing. There are plenty of hopes deferred in life. We should never have need to go out and seek them.   So I enjoyed finding this blog post via my site meter today (after barely looking at my own blog for over a week).

 I enjoyed reading this post at Prophezei: They Died For the Church -- We Sign Commitment Cards and Manifestos:
The legitimate role of women in church and society is often something sneered at by men who seem envious of the legitimate role God has given them in being who they are. That’s one reason why I vigorously oppose the True Woman Manifesto (which you can actually read here). Pastorally, it’s dangerous to give men and pastors in the Christian community one more plank to abuse women with by providing them with a signed copy of a manifesto that could easily be interpreted and used in ways it was perhaps not originally intended. Additionally, it’s irresponsible to think that the whole of Christian womanhood is aptly summed up by this manifesto or that it ought to be used as a guide in understanding what role women ought to play in the life of the church, their families, and in society. Whatever happened to the Bible? Why do we need cue cards for everything?
Read more good stuff in Pastor Johnson's entire post HERE. .