Thursday, May 14, 2009

Where the Chisel Meets the Stone

Please say a prayer for some new friends of mine today, for abundant wisdom for them so that God's words would be found in their mouths. Currently, they are walking out of a patriarchal spiritual abuse situation, making the hard decisions about what to do and how to do it. I'm so grateful that there are so many resources now for this couple who are new to the whole idea of spiritual abuse, resources that I wish I had as my husband and I made decisions about how to exit our own group years ago.
Their situation reminded me of my favorite 4Him song, which along with nearly everything else, can be found in some manner or form on YouTube. When I first heard this song, I was commuting from Norman to work in OKC in the early '90s, and I would play this song over and over and weep. My sinful nature and my self want to have their way, but I have relinquished my heart to the Lord and want my wheels to turn for Him, not for me.


I found this song to be a remarkable prayer, and I remember driving along in my old Volkswagon as I was going through a season of growth, singing such a prayer for God to put me where I would make a difference. A fleeting thought occurred to me. "What insane person prays for their feet to be placed where the rubber meets the road?" Driving the car, I thought that this meant that my feet would be run over, placed between the pavement and the tire. This is not unlike my prayers for God to give me and teach me patience, knowing that patience comes through suffering and the trying of one's faith according to the Book of James. But through and through, since I first heard it, this song has been such a prayer for me, so encapsulating my desire to please the Eyes of the Lord alone because I love Him so much. I love Him and I want my home to be His sovereignty.

Please pray for the Body of Christ. Pray that the Lord fill our minds with images of what he wants of us, particularly for my friends as they navigate through their experience with patriocentricity. May the Lord pour abundant wisdom out on all of us who call upon His Name. I love verses that speak of God's witness in our hearts and how He sends His Words to us from the most unlikely and unexpected sources. Pray that we would always be sensitive to that witness. I love how the Holy Spirit bears witness to us when we choose our paths, those ordered by God and created in advance for us that we might walk in them. Please pray that the Body would be delivered from evil and distractions that might lure us away from God's plan and purpose for us. May we never be distracted from the place of communion with Him, that place of rest and peace in Him.

I've been asked if I have regretted such prayers of dedication and promise to the Lord, particularly during seasons as my faith has been tried and as I felt the pain of the chisel as my friends do now. Am I sad that I've sung this song so many times, usually with tears and from the foundation of who I am and with ever part of me?

Not for a minute.

Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
Psalm 84:10



There is a man inside of me
Who wants to have his way
And I cannot comply
I relinquish this heart of mine
Lord I am desperate for Your handiwork
I’m ready for the change
And I can’t wait to see
What You can do with me
It was for my joy
You endured the cross
And I am overwhelmed
I want my wheels to turn for You
Not for myself

CHORUS
Let my eyes be fixed
On the hope that cannot fail
May my life be set
Where the Hammer meets the nail
Place my feet
Where the rubber meets the road
Shape my heart
To please Your eyes alone
That I may live my life
Where the chisel meets the stone

Fill my mind with images
Of what You want of me
The path that I must take
Lest I lose my way
For my home is in Your sovereignty
My destiny to be faithful
Before Your face to serve
At the throne of grace
And as evil comes to cloud my sight
And lure me away
I will not be distracted from this holy place

Chip away what tries to hide the truth
Until there is a remarkable
Resemblance of You