Thursday, December 4, 2008

Problems with Patriarchalism and Patriarchal Proof Texting

From Jack Brooks on the "Problems with Patriarchalism":

This
is what orthodox Evangelicals have to fear from the Patriarchy movement. Not the teaching of male authority, or a husband's leadership of the home, both of which are Biblical, both which are hated by feminists. No, it's this cultic pattern of Scripture twisting, mixed with the Pharisaical legalism of Theonomy.



It's bizarre ideas such as the husband being the family priest or "federal head". All believers are equally priests before God in Christ, women as well as men, and the OT priesthood system was abolished at the cross. Ezekiel 18 is clear that God does not impute the guilt or righteousness of one family member's actions to another member. A father's actions bring blessings or cursings into the home, but so do the mother's. The children don't approach God through their father. There is only one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus.
Read the entire post HERE.

And folks, I don't think there's a person on this earth with whom I completely agree on all points, and I don't even fit into a particular theology, though I'm mostly New Covenant. I don't agree with Pastor Jack Brooks, an Evangelical Free Church pastor, on all points, but I agree with him on many, particularly his recent post. "There is only one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus." Yea and Amen, Selah, and Hooray!

(I often get emails from people who state that they found something on the site of someone quoted or someone or someone that person links to from that website that says something they don't agree with and wonder why I posted something from them...... And then I have all these emails to answer.... and sometimes I have to explain to people why I have a quote from John Locke under my name on my email signature... Because I love the truthfulness of the quote, not because I am a Unitarian or because I worship at the cult of reason. I quote Berlett and Lyons here on this blog, too, and there is much that they profess with which I disagree.)

So though I don't hold to his interpretations on some things related to some of the gender debate, we both believe that Vision Forum teaches some things which he describes as "kooky." I wholeheartedly agree with him and I rejoice in the fellowship we share in Christ Jesus. Thank you, Pastor Brooks! You are an encouragement.

Read the comments on this thread that includes several points of departure that I take from Pastor Brooks' interpretations and understandings concerning some of these related matters. The comments at the end of this thread specifically discuss some aspects of Pastor Brooks' blog post to which I object.
.