Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Con Artist You Can Trust!


Following the posts about con artists, a friend sent me a link to a much more pleasant take on the con artist.

A snippet from an online article from

by James Walters, guest columnist

A holy set-up I could give lots of reasons for my decision: the poor fit between my responsibilities as the leader of the new service and my actual gifts and passions, my evolving understanding of the word "pastor," my growing responsibilities as a husband and father of three small children. But what most intrigues me about my time in the Pacific Northwest is the way that God so masterfully set the whole thing up.

From the perspective of hindsight, the whole thing is almost comical. We moved cross-country in order to begin a new worship service, waited nearly three years to do that, only to realize that in the end it wasn't really what we wanted to do after all.

It almost goes without saying that the experience had us scratching our heads for a while. Thankfully, a mentor shed some light on the situation by pointing me to a rather obscure verse from the book of Hosea: "Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her" (2:14).

Read the rest of the article here!