Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pink LInks, Oh Susannah! and Ole McDonald


In Patriarchal circles, the word "egalitarian" is worse than a four-lettered one. The Vision Forum camp and those within it contend that any reference to the word represents concepts that have arisen from Marxism. Egalitarianism represents the worst form of virulent Gloria Steinem-style feminism rather than a view that supports equality among all people.

This pocket of patriarchy views egalitarianism as expressly anti-Christian and unequivocally unbiblical. All relationships between the genders are hierarchical under all circumstances, apparently. I understand then that the patriarchal model maintains that it is impossible to have egalitarian relationships with the opposite gender and simultaneously submit to the mandates of Scripture concerning husbands, etc.

However, I view egalitarianism as a concept that was birthed by the New Testament, set in motion by example of Jesus Himself and propagated by the Apostle Paul. In fact, I have always viewed egalitarianism a Christian concept if not a uniquely Christian one. This would earn me the title of "antinomian" in most of these circles. But I digress...

It seems that James McDonald had nothing better to do than pontificate his ipsedixitisms yet again. After reading this recent post on his blog, my husband said that he wasted his time creating all these straw men arguments when all he needed to do was state that "I've read the Bible and this is what it means."

Nausea and tears overtook me as I read his listing of women who are offered by "evangelical feminists." I was greatly disturbed about these comments made concerning Mary Magdelene and Susanna:
Mary Magdalene–An ex-harlot (Luke 8:2). She certainly shouldn't be an example of egalitarian bliss. Before Christ’s gracious touch, she lived a life of sexual exploitation and sin. Not much of a model for our daughters – but a sister in the Lord, nonetheless. Mary Magdalene was another sinner saved by Grace, just like me, but she should not be held up as an example for women’s roles. Susanna–A demoniac (Luke 8:3). Not much is known about her, except she appears to be one who the Lord delivered from demonic possession or infirmities. Again, a picture of God’s grace, but not a role model for our daughters.
In response to this, I posted online elsewhere (because the McDonald blog is not a forum for discussing ideas), stating that how disturbing it was to me that someone would cover God's glorious works with their shame. Should their daughters fall short of anything less than perfection (the state of all mankind??), deliverance by the King of Kings and the Prince of Life is not a desired role? I'd rather be a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord than befall any fate outside of His domain. Someone posted a similar response:
"Well Stacy McDonald should not be one to be “looked up to” according then to her husband. She is in her second marriage, so she was what, an ex-harlot at worst, or at best, just another girl who got around(using his own words that he described Mary Magdalene)? No one should be buying her books then, because she is so far from perfect. Quoting her own husband in how he described Mary Magdalene, we could use this for our own daughters or even ourselves: “was another sinner saved by Grace, just like me, but she should not be held up as an example for women’s roles."
See his theory is flawed. Because either she can be a role model after being saved, or he can’t. If she can’t, then neither can his wife. You can’t have it both ways!
I wanted to say that I have nothing personal against Stacy McDonald, but either it does both ways or it doesn’t. If one lady in the Bible cannot be a role model because of her past, then neither can women today." 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Psalm 4:1-2 
Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Selah


2 Corinthians 12:9

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you,
for My strength is made perfect in weakness.
Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.