Seneca Falls 2 Evangelical Women's Rights Convention will commence in Orlando, Florida on Saturday July 24th, just a few days after the 162nd anniversary of the very first women's rights convention that was held in Seneca Falls, New York in 1848. Four of the five organizers of the original Seneca Falls Conference were Christians and the conference was hosted at a Methodist Church. Contrary to what others might tell you, this effort to promote women’s rights was a predominantly Christian-led event. The July 24th conference will carry on the work of the Christian women and men at the first Seneca Falls Convention, hence the name, Seneca Falls 2.
The SF2 Convention will launch a Declaration of Sentiments, a new Coalition, and a new Publication aimed at equipping the Church to confront the gender-based caste system within so many -- too many -- Christian communities.
Featured speakers include:
- Jocelyn Andersen Jocelyn is author of “Woman Submit!" and the newly released "Woman this is WAR! Gender, Slavery & the Evangelical Caste System.” Support the conference by purchasing extra books through her website at www.WomanSubmit.com.
- Shirley Taylor Shirley is founder of bWe, Baptist Women for Equality, equipping men and women to speak out for equality within Southern Baptist and Evangelical Churches.
- Waneta Dawn Waneta is author of the novel “Behind the Hedge,” the 2008 Christian Choice Book Award Winner which depicts a marriage affected by domestic abuse. She is also host of the blog, Submission Tyranny in Church and Society (the belief that begets domestic violence).
- Cynthia Kunsman Cindy is writer and consultant concerning spiritual abuse, and host of www.UnderMuchGrace.com.
- Janice Levinson Janice is co-founder with Lundy Bancroft of the Protective Mother’s Alliance International, an organization that works to ensure the rights of children and protective mothers in family court. Lundy is also the author of “Why Does He Do That?”
- Doug Phillips (No, not that Doug Phillips!) Seneca Falls 2’s Doug Phillips pastors the Oleander Church of God in Fort Pierce, FL.
Kate Johnson of the Christian Coalition Against Domestic Abuse will also be in attendance. Kate is author of Healing the Broken Places: For Christian Women Healing From Domestic Abuse, available for purchase through CCADA. Regretfully, Barbara Robers, author of Not Under Bondage: Biblical Divorce for Abuse, Adultery, and Desertion, could not make it in from Down Under but hopes to attend SF3.
Hope to see you there!